Search This Blog

Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Holiday Projects

Hard to believe Christmas is almost here!  Where did the year go?  Been busy the past 2 weeks with holiday things and sewing projects for the guilds I am in.

Here's the results so far....

Mug rugs for my girlfriends.  We've been having dinner once a month for almost 5 years now.  This ladies are amazing.



Next up ... The Triad Modern Quilt Guild always provides opportunities for homework between meetings.  For December, we could make a homemade ornament for a dirty Santa swap at the monthly meeting.

I used Laura Birch scraps from my Ornament quilt to create a background fabric.  Then I embroidered a redwork manger scene, and finished with stitch in the ditch using gold metallic thread.  I used a layer of temtex inside to provide stability and to hold shape.
Front
  

Back.....

And last but not least,  here's the patriotic block I came up with for the quilt of valor project.



Happy sewing, quilting, knitting and crafting to all!!

Merry Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. I got your link from a Facebook friend. This is quite a coincidence. In a few years I will be retiring and am looking into some local guilds. I found one that sews pillow cases for hospitalized children. I would love to sew small quilt blankets for the pediatric ward of a children's hospital some day. Your quilts projects are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lisa. There is a wealth of on-line quilting resources -- blogs, on-line swaps, on-line quilt alongs, to name a few. Not sure if you are in Missouri or elsewhere but local guilds are a great resource as well. I belong to 2 at the moment. I encourage you to check out all locals guilds (now) within a reasonable driving distance. Not all guilds are created equal. The best guild for you should be one that inspires, teaches and guides you. Once you find the best guild fit for you, get involved.

    There are many opportunities to every community for making and donating items. Hospitals in your surrounding communities should be able to provide you with contacts for groups that do pillowcases, quilts, etc. Best of luck. Look forward to seeing your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from Australia!
    Firstly, welcome to the wonderful world of blogging Annette! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I have read back to your previous posts - love everything you do! How brave to attempt that Tee Shirt quilt - I have thought about something like that a few times, but my darling son (almost 18) has a bad habit of leaving his clothing at his friends homes (never to be seen again) so I never can get my hands on any of the "meaningful" tee's!
    Thank heavens someone invented Mug Rugs - they make the best pressies and are so quick to run up. I'm planning on making a few for my Craft Group's Mother's Day stall - will put fabric flowers up in the corner (my sister makes the most beautiful fabric flowers).
    You can check out my blog (not many posts lately.... too busy sewing)...
    http://auntyhennys.blogspot.com/
    right now I'm making dolly baskets for the little great-nieces in my family - will post up a pic soon.
    Happy Sewing and Happy Christmas,
    Helen
    (AuntyHennysBlog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen,
    Thanks for the kind words. I popped over to your blog. Great ideas you have. I am now following your blog. I would love for you to return the favor.

    I love the dolly baskets. Looks like I will be making some of those soon.

    ReplyDelete